The reading culture has undergone drastic changes in recent years. With the steady progress of technology, the reading characteristics of books have also changed. The trend is increasingly towards digital reading, which is evident in the rise of e-books and e-readers.
Advantages of digital reading
- Digital books are space-saving and easily accessible. You can store hundreds of books on an e-reader and carry them with you.
- E-readers often have features such as backlighting, zoom capabilities, and bookmarks that enhance reading comfort.
- E-books are often cheaper than the printed version.
- There is a variety of e-books, which are often available in other languages, making it easier to access literature from different countries.
Disadvantages of digital reading
- Some people prefer the feel and smell of real books and miss the physical experience of reading an e-book.
- E-readers require a fully charged battery and can be disruptive if you receive notifications while reading.
- Not all books are available as e-books, which can be a challenge for some readers.
- There is no solution yet that focuses on communal use of e-books.
Although there are obvious advantages to digital reading, one must also be aware of the challenges. Ultimately, each reader decides which reading experience they prefer the most.